It's come to this: I'm spying on my plants


This has been sitting in a box in an upstairs room for about a year and a half. You know how that happens. I finally took the PlantCam out and set it up (very easy). As some of you know, this device takes pictures at set intervals for as long as an entire growing season. It then stitches them together to create a timelapse video. You put in the batteries, set the clock, set the intervals, and switch to auto. That's all.

It's in a sturdy plastic shell, so it can be used outside in any weather. For my purposes, though, I thought I could get some quick results by documenting these hyacinths, the last to emerge from the root cellar. When I bring the tulips up next week, I’ll document them as well.

PlantCam comes from the people (Wingscapes) who make the arguably more exciting BirdCam. And you have to wonder how useful either of these innocent devices would be for surveillance of other types. Hmmm.

Comments

Unknown said…
I didn't even knew these were on the market!Very cool. I remember when I was a kid and would see the time lapsed photos on tv of a plant coming up and blooming and think "that's one patient photographer who has to sit there and wait that long!"
Have fun!
Tracey
I bet these have been used for all sorts of surveillance. I will be curious to see the plant action.
Unknown said…
I wish I could post a picture (or a series of pictures) of the face my husband made when he found one of these for sale in a nursery recently. He just held it up and looked at me and I said, "Yup. That's right. That's what it's for." He cracked up!

Hope it goes well.
Marie said…
I get excited just watching a bulb come into bloom. I would be positively giddy with a PlantCam!
Unknown said…
It would have been fun to have one of these last week when my paphiopedilum was opening its glorious flower. I can see getting quite excited about it, but the bird cam would also be delightful.
Gardeningbren said…
The plantcam didn't quite excite me when we came across it in a bird store but the birdcam did! Enough so that we bought one and set it up and actually, it works very well..also from Wingscape. I do think you should get some great results with your bulb tray!
Rhonda said…
OMG that PlantCam would be perfect for my granddaughters to get to see how nature works....thanks for the tip!!!

Popular Posts