Hellebores—they’re a mystery, but that’s OK


So. After a few seasons of poring over catalogs, ordering them online, and viewing and buying them in person, I now have a nice bunch of hellebores. Two I have had for some years, purchased from Wayside back in the day. These have now formed nice clumps in the back garden.


The others are newer double and single varieties purchased from Plant Delights and local nurseries. It’s a bit embarrassing, but I am not really sure what any of the new varieties are. How did this happen? Some of the ones I bought did not survive. Plant Delights does not seem to currently carry anything that looks like what I bought. And I throw my labels out because I am not really that concerned.


In any case, the plants that are left and thriving are really quite attractive. There are 2 maroon doubles, a maroon single, one white double, a speckled white, and the rest seem to be ordinary hybridus.


Could hellebores be the ideal plant for the difficult terrain of the GWI property?


Happy belated GBBD.

Comments

You have a nice collection of hellebores. I am glad to know I am not the only one that doesn't mind not knowing what the name of each and every plant is in their garden. I just love surprises anyway. Happy GBBD.
Laurie Brown said…
Your hellebores made me swoon! I have no doubles so far.

I feel your pain about identifying what's in your yard- just four days ago I tried to find information on one of mine. I thought it had 'Slate' in its name, but it took me a half an hour of steady googling to find the blasted thing online.

Oh, and there is a chance that some of what you see in your yard isn't a named variety- if a plant dropped seed, and then died, you might be seeing its child.
Darla said…
Very nice collection indeed.
Those are lovely! I have my very first hellebore, planted just this winter. I am liking it so far...and might have to look for some like yours...they are wonderful.
Hellebores are a nearly perfect plant for those of us who garden in shade. I'll bet your beautiful maroon double is 'Kingston Cardinal', which I got from Plant Delights. I've posted photos of mine, if you want to compare.
Gail said…
They really are good plants for difficult spots...I have a few doubles and find I like them more then the singles like Ivory Prince. If you like soft yellows and mixes ~I think 'Golden Lotus Strains' is a good choice. gail
That double white is really gorgeous. I have stayed away from doubles not being sure if I'd like them, but that beauty may convince me to give them a try. I am very unsure of which are which in my garden though I keep good records of most other plants. Can't do it all ...
Luxembourg said…
I used to be very pleased to search out this internet-site.I required to thanks on your time for this excellent read!! I undoubtedly enjoying each little bit of it and Ive you bookmarked to look at new items you weblog post.
Commonweeder said…
I am still awaiting my first hellebore. My problem is making a choice and finding a good spot. I have so little shade but yours are so beautiful that cannot wait much longer.
Don said…
All of a sudden I see them everywhere, which is nice they bloom so early. Love the double ones.
Planters said…
Such beautiful hellebores! You must be very pleased. I particularly like the one with speckled white petals, absolutely gorgeous.

Popular Posts