Opening acts


Though my garden is primed to peak in mid–late July, just in time for Garden Walk, I do have a few noteworthy happenings before then. Not that many, because aside from spring bulbs, ephemerals, and early-blooming perennials, gardens are just getting going in June when you live around here.


I think the viburnum blooms are the first sign that things are really beginning to happen. Then the hardy geraniums and dicentra. And then the climbing hydrangea blooms. This plant has really performed splendidly here; in nearly-full shade it now almost covers 3 trellis panels and is covered in blooms. There may be a cultivar that blooms longer—I think Christopher Lloyd mentions it, but I hadn’t heard of it when I bought this one. Sorry the image is a bit blurry.


And the roses. These are definitely the days of prosecco, Veuve Cliquot, and roses around here. The falsely named totally bogus Gloire de Dijons, the real, completely awesome Abraham Darbys, the wonderful old Louise Odiers, the unknown red climber, the yellow Charlotte I have almost pulled out twice—they are delighting all comers now.


Soon, the yellow and purple perennials I’ve tried to introduce and make dominant will bloom forth, as well as all the lilies, but I’m enjoying these bursts of color in what is still largely a green garden. This is by way of being a Bloom Day post, a tradition started by Carol/May Dreams Gardens.

Comments

Frances said…
Hi Elizabeth, heady days in your garden with those roses and others. I am really impressed with the climbing hydrangea, having killed a very expensive one on our new arbor. Might try again and look for the Lloyd cultivar. I can't wait to see your lilies either.
Frances
Anonymous said…
I like how Fraces described it as heady. Nothing like big blooms to annouce the garden is open for business. All looks very pretty.
It's beginning to look decidedly springlike in your garden...and heading to summer. I'm looking forward to your Garden Walk post!
My roses are petering out now - heat is moving in. Can almost smell yours...
What more does one need than a fabulously happy Climbing Hydrangea and Roses for June garden glory?
Your garden is gearing up for summer. It looks great. My Climbing Hydrangea isn't climbing but it is at least blooming. Happy GBBD.
Rhonda said…
I love looking at your blog. The arrangements are well placed, the blossoms beautiful.
Take care.
Very, very pretty. June is a month of beginnings for you my friend.~~Dee
Garden Mad said…
Lovely photos. I am very jealous of your viburnum - mine has fallen prey to some noxious pest that has reduced its leaves to shreds and it looks horrid. The flowers are OK but I fear I must prune it to the ground. My geraniums are fantastic at the moment too but they will soon give way to the lillies.
Unknown said…
Lovely... I take it you don't really like the 'Gloire de Dijon' roses very well?

By the way, how long did it take you to establish that gorgeous climbing hydrangea? I keep thinking that I should plant it, but then I forget, and then I think that maybe I'm just all around too late since it's supposed to take a long time to settle in, etc...
EAL said…
GM, sounds like you have the beetle that attacks viburnums. Dormant oil?

Blackswamp, the climbing hydrangea only took about 2 years to throw out a couple blooms and 3 to look substantial. The so-called gloire de dijon has gorgeous buds and blooms, but they don't last as well as they could. I like it tho.
Cindy, MCOK said…
That climbing hydrangea is gorgeous! I have a serious case of plant lust now. Since my oakleaf hydrangea has done so well, I could use that as justification for indulging said plant lust and buying a climbing hydrangea, right?

Popular Posts