Sunday, June 14, 2009

Dirty little secrets cleaned up—for now


It’s one thing to have a few unplanted purchases sitting around; I think we all have them. I know I usually have some throughout the gardening season; indeed, there are 6-8 skillfully tucked away pots in my garden as I write this.

But today I took care of a much worse area of denial. Last year, I ignored, as I generally do, the horrible weed beds behind our house. I look at this every time I pull into the garage from the alley. Over the years, I’ve tried. I really have. I have a climbing rose (above, the much-maligned, badly-named, but well-performing Golden Showers), and a few bulbs planted, and have even tried other perennials, but it’s just too vulnerable a spot. You know how those spots are.

Today, I pulled as many weeds as fast as I could, dug huge holes, and threw in lily and gladiolus bulbs in 4 big holes, reprising my tulip strategy. Then I mulched. We’ll see. I have a feeling the weeds will attack again.

12 comments:

Naomi, Scott and Wes said...

I had an area like this. One word - LASAGNA!! Worked like a charm.

Sylvana said...

I take all the bully plants I have and throw them in the alley to let them duke it out with each other and the weeds. It is working pretty well so far :)

hukumaru said...

Hello!

My name is Hukumaru.

I think your website is wonderful.

I placed a link to your site from me.

My web site address is below.

If you would like to link to my site,my URL is below.

Bonsai Garden

Regards.

Susan aka Miss. R said...

Sounds like you need some help from the thugs...garden thugs that is--tough plants that will duke it out with the weeds and take back the neighborhood!

beckie said...

I think we all have those spots hidden somewhere. :) But with that rose as a show piece, it seems such a shame to not have her surrounded by other beauties. I hope your plan works and the weeds stay gone.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Yep, I have one of those areas. I wouldn't say spot because that would make you think it was a small space. No it is an area. Along a fence. A place I rarely tread. It is a messs.

rambleonrose said...

Hey, you've got to start somewhere! At least you got some bulbs and a little weed control happening. It's more than I can say for my trouble spot, an infested, deep shade stretch along the garage.

Gail said...

I had to bring in a professional to deal with my problem area...and we won't even describe how problematic garden thugs are here...EAL, the bulbs may surprise you and look wonderfully wild....gail

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

LOL - "Golden Showers" sounds like what boys do in the woods. I hope your strategy works. If it does, I'm going to try the big hole method next year.

Dee/reddirtramblings said...

I like your idea of putting glads in there. Will look really good, and yes, the stupid weeds will again rear their ugly heads.~~Dee

Miss Daisy said...

Oh how I feel your pain! I ignore the weeds on the side of my house where nothing grows BUT weeds! Love the picture of your roses! Beautiful!

Mildred said...

Interesting. I didn't know that there were weed combating plants.