Beautification with a huge B



This evening, at a pleasant gathering of the community organization whose board I am rejoining, I warned them all that my first crusade would be to bring back hanging baskets to our neighborhood. Last summer, it seemed many other block clubs and business groups were able to maintain beautiful baskets all summer long. So I just don't see why we can't. "But we have to keep them watered," they said. "Yes," I replied. "I think it can be done."

To be honest, it is a big pain in the ass to maintain baskets, but I think it's worthwhile. And to be fair, there are a few other beautification chores we usually don't have—such as reforesting Allen Street and the adjacent green spaces. We also have a little pocket park we started and never finished. Nonetheless, it will be fun doing neighborhood beautification again.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Very cool. You guys are great ambassadors for the cause.
David (Snappy) said…
Go for it.I think if you use water absorbing granules it prevents hanging baskets from drying out as quickly.I read a tourists view of the UK, and one of their endearing memories was of all the hanging baskets outside pubs, shops, peoples houses.Go for it, spread some green healing through your community!
Annie in Austin said…
EAL, another trick is to put a disposable baby diaper [UNUSED] in the basket - did pretty well, even on a deck in Texas.

I've seen hanging baskets in downtown Seattle, too, and love that look.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Popular Posts