Destruction




Well, I feel a bit petty about my dahlia lament last night. Today,300,000 people in Western New York are without power after a premature blizzard dumped so much snow on the fully-leaved trees that branches and powerlines are lying in a tangled mess throughout the region. Actually, everyone on our street was hoping for a tree-trimming, but not quite like this.

In terms of garden damage, I’m hearing about gazebos split in half, trellises in splinters, and worse—like me, no one has really winterized anything this early.

So, there’s a lot of this (this fountain is still playing):



and this (these impatiens still look great):



Every few minutes I’m hearing loud booms as huge loads of snow come crashing down from trees and roofs. Tuesday it should be 60. Can we fast forward?

Comments

Kathy said…
I remember one year we got a foot of snow on Halloween. It disappeared quickly, but that did wind up being a very long, snowy winter. I hope this doesn't portend similar misery for this upcoming season.
Annie in Austin said…
Oh EAL, it looks so bad on the news, and bad in the garden, too. The ground probably hasn't had time to freeze, so you can still pull up the dahlias for next year and plant tulip bulbs. Maybe when it's in the 60's next week.

Wishing you a safe weekend!

Annie
Carol Michel said…
I hope this is not a taste of what is to come this winter. When the rest of us think about Buffalo, we do think about snow, but NOT this early! I could not believe it when I read about it in the paper, and so I thought I would verify it through your blog. Good luck with your clean up.
Unknown said…
Yikes! I'm glad that you were okay, and either didn't lose power or got it back pretty quickly. It looked like quite a mess up there...
Anonymous said…
If it is any consolation, you are making me feel better about living in Cleveland. I still wish I lived in, say, San Diego instead, though.

Hope the snow goes away for you some.

Popular Posts